While sketching the diagram of my ideal classroom, I envisioned a relatively sparse layout with desks circled to facilitate group discussions and historical posters adorning the walls. As for technological gadgets, I pictured a humble projector for video clips, primary documents, and photographs as well as some sort of digital map to teach students about geopolitical interactions. Thinking about it now, I realize that I drew from my own experiences in high school where projectors and videos were the extent of my teachers' multimedia instruction. Our first meeting of "Teaching with Technology," however, convinced me that I should be more attuned to my students' culture rather than drawing from my own high school days. As we watched the gripping videos about students' ever-growing technological literacy and the necessity to possess those skills as adults today, I realized how outdated my classroom sketch might be.
Nevertheless, I'm skeptical of bringing too many technological gadgets into the classroom as I hope to focus on the students' traditional academic skills, particularly analytical reading, writing, and speaking. The only materials necessary for this are a pencil and paper along with a classroom that is conducive to discussion. But the start of "Teaching with Technology" has raised the notion that perhaps this pencil and paper could be a blog or an online debate forum. This could be a great way to get students to collaborate with their peers online. Additionally, it would be an asset for students to learn how to conduct historical research online as archival materials are increasingly available on the web. As yesterday's techies become today's ordinary adolescents, technology in the classroom seems to be a strategic way to get students to apply their technological prowess toward more traditional endeavors associated with the study of history.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for the post, Jenny. Though I had hoped to, I didn't have time (alas) to touch upon the question of conducting web research, and the issues (and opportunities) that arise as we contemplate questions of trustworthiness and epistemology as connected to web research. I think that there are some exciting opportunities that arise in raising questions about 'how we know' or how we evaluate sources.
ReplyDeleteStay tuned for the upcoming class on podcasting, too...simple ways to open some interesting doors to working with speaking (and presentation) skills and thinking concretely about audience.
your blog looks great! I agree with you on the technology aspects. You bring up some great ideas about how to incorporate technology in less than ideal situations. Good job!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like my classroom drawing looked the same as yours! I did the same thing-drew upon my experience as a student...which is really all I had to draw upon. But after class, I realized I have a lot to learn. I agree with your concern with students developing communication skills including oral communication.
ReplyDeleteLoved your line, "As yesterday's techies become today's ordinary adolescents,"- that's totally what is happening. I enjoyed reading what you wrote.
I think I did pretty much the same thing you did with my classroom drawing (if you can call it a drawing). It ended up looking almost identical to every classroom I sat in in high school. I have a feeling that after this year is over, I'm going to have a very different picture of what my ideal classroom would look like.
ReplyDeleteI definitely shared your original vision of the humanities classroom. Part of me took a lot of comfort in that. I really admire your openness and adventure toward embracing this new technology, as we really are standing in a hazy doorway, where even our imaginations can not peer in for a good enough look at what the future holds for classroom resources. As someone who has often taken comfort in the familiar, I am realizing that we will be looked on to keep up with the times, and step with both feet into the unfamiliar. I look up to your attitude on this one!
ReplyDeleteYour post lamenting our tendency to look backwards in order to think about how we will approach teaching today reminded me of that old trope... "When I was your age, we walked ten miles to school, and there was no heat, and we had to share desks, etc..." Or... "I didn't have a cell phone when I was in high school so kids today definitely don't need them." It is SOOOO EASY to forget that everyone lives within the context of their particular era and what applied to us may not apply to them. I also imagine having all sorts of tools but when you boil it down, it's just you, the students and the material. The rest is gravy!
ReplyDeleteI share some of your same thoughts on the drawing assignment we did for class. I didn't know what to include other than a projector and a laptop in my drawing! My "future classroom" also looked similar to that of one in my high school. I think it will be really helpful learning about all of the different technological options we have with fellow future social studies teachers!
ReplyDelete